Thursday, May 9

Finding the perfect spot to write & blog in Los Angeles


I made a leap of courage (or stupidity depending on perspective) last week when gave up my job as a theatrical agent to pursue a life of creativity.  Call it a whim, but I’m craving an outlet, and my job was starting to feel unbearably stifling.  I’ll go into more details on this soon, but right now I’d like to focus on my present task: writing.

 I’m an atmosphere whore, who did not quit her job (and paycheck) to sit in my gloomy apartment and stare at my macbook all day long.  Since being freed, I have searched for the perfect writing spots around the city.  This list is a work in progress that I plan to update as I go… but here are my favorites thus far:

1    1. The courtyard between Bouchon and the Montage hotel.  Beverly Hills has free internet, so you could sit at one of the small tables and let your dog enjoy the grass.  Or you could do as I did and relax at one of the outdoor tables at Parq with, appropriately enough, their most delectable drink: The Agent.  (And a cheeseboard of course).
 
2.  Javista Coffee shop in Hollywood. Just like Starbucks... except not a headache, overcrowded or over priced.  And their food is organic and delightful.  The desserts come from Urth Caffe (a place where squatting with laptops is frowned upon to say the least) and the salads, sandwiches and drinks are made in house. http://javistacafe.com/

3. Le Pain on Melrose.  A quaint cottage feel where they will fill up your coffee until your hearts content.  The front patio is perfect for car and people watching.. the back for a quitter existence. 

4. Alfred Coffee & Kitchen on Melrose Pl.  What a slice of heaven this little coffeeshop is.  With outdoor seating overlooking the quiet side street and a charming fireplace inside, this place is a writers paradise. http://www.alfredcoffee.com/

5. Palihouse Hotel has a lovely al fresco brassiere in their internal courtyard.  You could stay from morning to night as they offer breakfast, lunch and dinner before turning into a lounge.   http://www.palihousewesthollywood.com/dining.asp

5. LACMA.  Nothing like getting your creative juices flowing quite like being surrounded by creativity. 

6. Roosevelt Hotel.  By the pool or sunk into an oversized couch in the lobby, you can't beat the charm of this hollywood classic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment