Tuesday, January 21

Short Scene for a Workshop or Class - Romantic Drama

Here's another short scene I just wrote to perform for my acting class and perhaps a few casting director workshops.  I often find it difficult choosing a scene from the list - simply for the fact that I know at least 2 actors ahead of me and 2 after will do the same exact scene.  When I used to hold workshops as an agent, there was nothing that made me tune out more than listening to the same exact delivery 3 times in a row.  So, I wrote this quick and easy scene in my own words to give me a leg up against the monotony of overused scenes.  Again, not the best writing and definitely room for improvement, but I love how well a scenario like this resonates with 90% of us.

Feel free to use or adapt this if you too are struggling to find a unique scene that hasn't been overplayed.


HOW'S THE DOG
Ext. GROCERY STORE PARKING LOT - DAY

Paul, 27, is walking out of the supermarket, carrying a bag of groceries when he bumps into Claire, 26.

CLAIR
Wow! Hi! I can't believe.. it's good to see you!

PAUL
Wow, Claire.. hi

CLAIR
So, how are you?  What's new? How’s your mom? and brother?  And Rex, oh my God, how is Rex?

PAUL
Rex passed away, I'm.. I'm sorry I never told..

Clair raises her hand to her mouth and gasps.

CLAIR
Aw no. That breaks my heart. I can't tell you how much I’ve missed ol Rexy.  There will never be a better dog in the world. Please tell me it was just old age and he passed away peacefully in his sleep surrounded by his favorite squeakys?

PAUL
That’s exactly how it happened Claire. I promise.

CLAIR
I miss you.  A lot.

PAUL
Claire..

CLAIR
No, please listen to me. I am so very sorry for everything. I think of you often too.. and always so fondly.  truthfully when I get an eyelash I always add a wish that your happy.

PAUL
and to think you used to wish to travel the world, what a waste of a wish nowaways..

CLAIR
Are you happy?

PAUL
Claire

CLAIR
Are you?

PAUL
Uh yeah, yes I am.  Remember Jessica?

CLAIR
Oh Jessica, are you two?

PAUL
Yeah, actually we just got engaged.

CLAIR
well congratulations!  

PAUL
yeah, thank you. and you? are you still dating that guy... um..?

CLAIR
oh John? yeah we're still, um, together.

Paul... I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry for everything. We were just so young and I was so.. so immature. So very immature

PAUL
It's the past..

Paul starts to back up a little, as if he's going to say goodbye and walk away. 

CLAIR
No, please listen.  You were my first love.. and if we met now you'd be my last love.  And God how I wish we had met later in life.. but we didn't. I don’t believe in love fairytales anymore, but we were as close as it will ever get in my life.. and I know that for sure

PAUL
I really think I should get going...

CLAIR
Paul, I’m sorry to bombard you.  I think what I meant to say is that I really do want the best for you.. you are one hell of an amazing human being and I hope every morning you wake up happier than the day before.

PAUL
You too Claire.  It was really good running into you.  And hey.

CLAIRE
Yeah?

PAUL
I told Rex you had just run out to get bones every day you were gone up until he passed away... and he bought it.

They smile and hold each others’ eyes for a moment before Paul heads towards his car.



No comments:

Post a Comment