Wednesday, November 30

Chelsea's makeup picks 2011! A few splurges sprinkled amongst some CVS steals.

I have tried literally everything from Wet and Wild to Chanel, and while I prefer a few of the higher end brands -- my awards list is comprised of a mixture of CVS, Sephora and Saks buys.

I have larger pores and fair combination skins with minimal (aside from the few habitual zit offenders every 4 weeks) breakouts.

Primer - Smashbox.  Worth every glossy penny.  Goes on smooth, covers pores and leaves skin feeling flawless. No woman should go out for a night without this god sent.  If you can't bear to spend the $, covergirl ageless primer does an ok job too.  Don't go near bare minerals, it peels off your skin and makes concealer and foundation look like cake.

Eye shadow Primer - Urban Decay.  Now, i'm sure you're thinking you don't need eye shadow primer, but believe me once you use it once you'll never look back (get it look, eye, eye primer - such a stretch, but its hard to be witty in a blog post about makeup). I even will wear it without eye shadow over it, the light nude color of the primer is so pretty!

Foundation - Mac for full coverage that will really last.  Este Lauder for everyday full overage that doesn't look like you have makeup on.  Don't skimp on foundation that you're putting on in the AM and wearing all day, it's worth the extra money.. i promise!

Pressed Powder - Revlon pressed powder goes on smoothly and leaves my skin shine free.  I touch up twice a day with it. Dior makes a pressed powder that feels like silk, but does the coverage look any different than Revlon or cover girl?  not to me. Save the 60 dollars.

Under Eye Concealer - I use Cargo because I got tricked by the saleswoman at Macys.  I don't believe this is something you need to splurge on unless you have serious bags/discoloration.  If you do buy mac or HD Studio Effects from Sephora.  If not stick to Revlon.

Eyeline - Maybeline long lasting in Noir is fabulous! I've tried Mac on one eye and maybeline on the other.  Ive tried Dior, HD photo finish, everything, and this $7 is still the best! It really stays and goes on so smoothly!

Mascara - Loreal Volumunious in Blackest Black.  Honestly wouldn't consider using any other mascara.  this is like liquid black gold to me. My one staple that I swear by.  For thick, full lashes that look long and dark, Loreals where it's at.

Blush - Liquid I use Revlon and over it I put covergirl pressed powder.   I also have nars, two faced, etc etc and these cvs brands work just as well!

Finishing Powder - Bare essentials.  Really no comparison if you want a full clean coverage that will last.  Covergirl makes loose powder that works, but you'll have to reapply it a few times throughout the day.

Eyeshadow - While I do love my two faced palete and mac separates, I really think covergirl is just as good in selection and quality. if you want more drama just wet the eyeshadow brush a little before applying.

Lip Liner/Lipstick - Don't splurge! Covergirl is Great!

Lip gloss - Sally Hansen lip plumper, Youngblood lip glosses are so amazing but ridiculously over priced, loreal color riche lip glosses give a nice color too.

Chapstick - Sugar.  Is it REALLY worth the splurge?  probably not.  Does it feel like you've just kissed a cloud when you put it on?  Damn right it does. 

Fake Lashes - Revlon

Post script - Don't skimp when it comes to brushes.  Foundation should be applied with a brush similar to a paint brush, end of story. Investing in good makeup tools (and by investing I mean the Sonia Kashuk linke at Target - don't get crazy and buy the rediculously overpriced ones at Sephora or worse, Neimans) will only extend the life and quality of your makeup. 

Cheap on makeup remover, face wash, toner (or even witch hazel if you have oily skin than can handle the alcohol) but for god's sake buy yourself a decent face lotion that targets your specific problems.  Again, this can be achieved by olay, but read the labels do some research and put your best face forward.

Paz y amor. (y belleza!)

Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment